American Flyer Boulevard Lamp Set
In 1950 Gilbert American Flyer changed from the die cast metal street lamps that had been in the catalog since 1940 to plastic street lamps manufactured for Gilbert by the Colber Company. The posts are molded in a gold color plastic with a white plastic diffuser/shade over the bulb at the top. The Colber equivalents are molded with a green post and white shade. These were individually boxed and a blue, yellow and white printed scene. The corresponding Colber boxes are green and white. The double bulb street lamps are gone replaced with this single bulb lamp post.
No. 749 Boulevard Lamp
The introduction of the No. 749 Boulevard Lamp to the Gilbert American Flyer product line indicated a modernizing of the accessories to reflect the changeover of the prototype street lamps from arc lights to incandescent lights. The lamp posts no longer came with a track clip.
The No. 749 Boulevard Lamp was repackaged into a set of three for 1951. Still manufactured by Colber, the individual boxes were enclosed into a master box holding three. Gold color with the white shade remained the same.
With a partial repeat of the image and description the 1952 version of the No. 749 Boulevard Lamp is the same as the 1951 offering.